Monday, July 1, 2013

Sterling Silver Cuff Bead with Fresh Water Pearl on Black Paracord


I've been working through some design ideas for what I'm calling textured cuff beads that have wire wrapped accents.  I texturized the silver sheet with dry oak leaves, I stamped sterling on the inside, filed the edges, formed the tube, soldered the piece, hammered it, tossed it in the pickle (acid bath), drilled a couple holes on the top and then did the wire work.  The pearl is anchored down to the bead and I've wrapped some of the wire to connect and secure the coiled sections.  This is the first one I finished that was all handmade.  I will be making a couple of larger cuff beads like this and use them on larger bracelets.  I may try using them with thicker pieces of leather almost like a concho.  Should have some of the other beads ready in a few days.  I haven't seen any beads quite like this and the design is something I came up with while day dreaming.  Seems there is a lot of that going on with me and no shortage of ideas to work through.  I'm also posting a photo of the beads and earrings prior to doing the patina.  Some of these items are for sale at wearartbyjulie.etsy.com .

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.