Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wire Wrapped Herkimer Diamond and Tiger Eye Ring Pendants




I say ring pendants because these can be worn as rings or hung from a cord and worn like a necklace.  The stones are rather large and I found the ring design is a great way to show them off a couple of different ways.

Herkimer diamonds are actual quartz crystals mined near Herkimer, New York.  In many specimens you will notice a point at each end which is also referred to as double terminated.  Herkimer diamonds are found clear, cloudy, smokey and may have impurities that look like dark spots or inclusions.  I have some stones where you can see crystal formations and little chips, rainbow prisms inside and sometimes crystals right on top of another.  I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a bit of a rock and mineral hound and love interesting things nature produces.  

The other ring pendants were made with some large tiger eye beads I had.  I have always loved the colors of tiger eye.  It's nice to know you can make rings and not have to use a blow torch and create a bezel and because the stones are drilled, you can do so many things with them.  Fun!


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.