Thursday, April 2, 2015

Scroll Cross in Sterling with Amethyst


I made this cross with various gauges of sterling silver wire.  I built a frame and layer by layer, added hand bent and formed sterling scrolls.  I added silver beads and a micro faceted amethyst bead in the center.

This was completely made with cold connections and no soldering was used.  I cannot say it was all a wrapped piece, but imagine sewing with super fine sterling wire.  In, out, up and over I went with the wire to secure the scroll pieces to the frame.  You have to be very careful to keep the wire in a loop and not pull it and kink it.  If that happens, you have to carefully unbend and straighten the wire.  A good pair of nylon jaw pliers are really one of the most important tools.  I use it to straighten and to also press wire in some areas to tighten things.  My less expensive pair works better than the higher quality ones I purchased.  

My favorite tool to cut the small wires would be small nail clippers.  They are curved and can get into tight areas usually without cutting other pieces.  I have several sets of clippers in pretty much every tool box and work area.  They work great and are very inexpensive.  The price of the tool doesn't always dictate how great it will work.  I have good pliers and special tools, but the little wire trimmers I use are simple nail clippers.  If you don't have power tools, you can file the ends, use sand paper and I have even used emory boards, then sand.  Experiment and see what works for you.  

The beads are also wired in at various locations.  The wire around the stone that looks like a bezel is a heavier coiled wire.  The bale is larger to accommodate the sterling chains with amethyst and sterling   beads.  This could also be worn on a heavy black cord or velvet ribbon.  If you wear something like this on a black cord or ribbon worn over my usual black crew neck t-shirt, it will look like it's floating.

I added a double wire loop to the lower back of the tip to add a dangle.  I may add a pear shaped pearl or amethyst briolette.  Still working through some final details.

This wire wrapped and cold connected style of work is inspired by some pieces I've seen made in Eastern Europe.  I haven't seen any crosses like this and this is my own design.  Every piece I construct is one of a kind and unique.  

This has an old world look with the patina that darkened it.  The scrolls remind me of architectural elements with their detail. It is strong and delicate at the same time.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.