Friday, October 23, 2009

Polymer Clay Beads!






I was recently talking with someone about polymer clay and what I've made with it. I thought the easiest way to show some photos of the beads would be to post them here.

Polymer clay is an amazing material to work with. It does not dry out, so you can work with it on and off for a long period of time. Some days I would mix color blends, make bead blanks, make simulated stone colored canes and so on.

The tools you use with it are simple and easily found. I bake the items in a toaster oven on my patio. The best thing is, that it is a very inexpensive material to work with. Many times, you can create a faux stone for much less than you would pay for an actual stone.

The clay items are very lightweight after baking. You could wear the largest earrings and they weigh practically nothing! You can also make buttons for clothing or tote bags.

I have made beads that look like turquoise, ivory, wood, bakelite, jade and coral.

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.