Friday, July 6, 2012

Finished Sculpted Bead!



I finished staining, sanding, heating and buffing this bead yesterday.  I have made quite a few other styles, but this was the only one like this with the batch.  I really like the earth tones that to me, look like bands of textiles wrapped around it.  I didn't want any sort of perfect caning, but just strands of color that look like fabric.  Each piece was carefully cut out and put in place and this is my own design.  Still for some reason, this reminds me of straw art from New Mexico.  No inlay here, but just the geometrical theme and colors.

I also finished some beads that I will add to a bracelet.  They aren't anything fancy, but I like the gold color and sanded, then buffed them to a nice shine.  I was trying to take some photos in the warm light right before sunset.  I was holding the beads on a denim shirt and one popped right off and went into a bush.  I had to shake and shake it.  Finally found it!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.