Monday, October 1, 2012

Oak Leaves on Metal



I was up in the mountains over the weekend and collected various organics from the forest floor to use in my metals class.  After annealing, I sandwiched some very dry oak leaves and pine needles between silver and some copper.  I cranked this through a rolling mill and you can see the beautiful detail of nature forever impressed upon my metal.  I lightly sanded the metal with a fine, higher grit sandpaper before milling.  The leaves over the sanded metal in a way, protected that finish and the other areas that received more pressure, seemed to shine up.  You can adjust the mill however you want, but I like how these pieces came out.  I will be working on some pendants and will patina them again when I'm finished.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.