Thursday, September 27, 2012

Feather Moves Metal...


I've had a desire to make what I call "real" jewelry and I've been taking a silver fabrication class.  It's been years since I've held a torch and it was time to do it again!

We were talking about texture on metal a few weeks ago and the instructor had some of her samples on the table. We discussed the use of the rolling mill and all the different things you could place in between a couple of pieces of metal and after milling, the image would be there.

We saw the tin foil imprint which was pretty cool and it looks like leather after oxidizing the copper or adding patina.  You can use leaves or any other dried out organic material and even brass jewelry components.  The one that really caught my eye, was the imprint of a feather on the metal.

First you have to anneal the metal which is heating it with a blow torch to change and make it more malleable or easier to work with.  You then take your cool metal, a feather and another piece of brass or copper on the top, adjust the mill and start cranking.  Out comes the metal with the impression.

I was rather blown away with the thought of a feather moving metal...  It's kind of a lesson in holding space or pushing back when it feels like things are closing in on you or how something so fragile can seem untouched.  With all the pressure, you would think the feather would be smashed and not leave a mark.  Every little wisp and detail of the feather came through on the metal.

So, that was my big thought that day...  Feather moves metal.  A good lesson~

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.