Monday, June 25, 2012

Hand Sculpted Southwestern Polymer Clay Focal Beads




These beads were entirely hand sculpted by me with an ivory blend base.  All the little piece were hand cut out and placed on the bead.  The spiral in the center was made with a stamp I hand sculpted.  These beads were shaped, baked, stained, sanded through four grits of wet/dry sandpaper, stained, heated again and after cooling, buffed to this shine.  There was quite a bit of labor and time involved in shaping the beads.  The details are all drawn freehand by me with a needle tool.  These have a Native American and Spanish Colonial feel to them.  They have been crafted to look like they have many years of stories to tell.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.