Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Ruby, Freshwater Pearl and Sterling Silver Earrings


I made these earrings entirely by hand with sterling silver wire, small ruby rondelles and silver fresh water pearls.  I cut the base pieces for the earrings and wrapped with a lighter gauge of sterling wire and added the ruby beads that I estimate at 2.5mm.  Yes, the sizes seem to vary a bit and yes, they do have inclusions...  I could say that's how you know they're real!  Instead of using a head pin and wrapping the pearl, I used sterling wire and really wrapped it!  I used another double wrapped piece to connect the main part of the earring to the dangle and then wrapped the top.  I used 20 gauge for the ear wires and wrapped the front a bit.  You may want to use a lighter gauge for the ear wires if someone hasn't worn earrings all that long.  You might try 22 gauge and that will be thinner.  I like the simple wire vs. a rounded ones or a long contemporary style.  It had to make sense with this pair.  There are  lots of different styles of wires you could make, but one thing that's for sure, store bought wires or lever backs are really expensive right now.  These really have an Eastern Indian feel and I just love them.  Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Julie, I love the bracelet I bought from you Monday. I want another one. I can come pick it up. I want it for my adult grandson who likes all things natural and is a rocker as in musician. Is it possible to come and pick one up before Christmas?

I am going to list your blog on my blog. Check it out at thequeensdesign.blogspot.com

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.