Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Quilted Heart Pendant

I've had some sample milled pieces of silver and also some scrap I wanted to use.  Sterling silver was about $38.50 and ounce the last time I stopped to pick up some wire last week, so it's become a bit of a fun challenge to see how much of it I can use and then use smaller pieces for other projects.

I cut out the little rectangle and then sawed out a small asymmetrical heart out of some scrap.  They call this cold fusion, but it's really two pieces of metal that have been drilled and you use the same gauge of silver wire, trim it and use a chasing hammer to rivet.  I've had so much fun riveting!


I also had the idea to drill random holes around the edges of the metal and thread faceted gemstones all the way around.  This reminds me of the cardboard pieces children use with shoe laces to practice sewing.  Maybe some of us have tried that when we were tots!  I used peridot and various colors of watermelon tourmalines around the edges.  I think this looks like a framed piece of art or a framed photo.  I've never seen this done before and I will call it a Julie original!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.