Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Sculpted Pieces with Heshi Beads



I had seen Native American bracelets many years ago that had actual heshi bead strands wired into them.  I can say that for a long, long time I have wanted to try this with polymer clay.  I cut various pieces of the turquoise, coral and ivory blends.  I did string the heshi beads on wire and set that into the clay before baking it.  It was a bit of delicate work and took a steady hand... not to mention some patience as well!  After baking, I had to be really careful when sanding these beads in order to not nick the heshi beads.  These pieces were stained to give them a nice, rustic look.  All of my beads are sanded and buffed to this nice shine.  I've been busy stringing necklaces and making bracelets with these beads.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.