Saturday, October 5, 2013

Origami on the Bench...


Alright, last night was another night at the studio of hammering, sawing, using the old torch and so on.  For some reason, I love to hammer away on those letter stamps for some added fun.  Poor gal next to me was trying to saw out some delicate curves through some sterling sheet and every so often "whack" came from my work space.  A noisy place it is!

What's interesting is that I decided to take some of my scrap metal and cut and shape the small pieces and use those for earrings.  I can send the rest of the tiny pieces off to the refinery.

I also have some copper pieces and you guessed it, those were rescued from the circular file.  Some people forge larger pieces and bowls and toss the scraps in a metal container.  What looks small to them is large for my needs.  I found the greatest piece of hammered and nearly destroyed copper with the most awesome patina on it.  I've been playing around with that and milled it and good grief, got some oil on it and after cleaning it off, some of the patina had changed.  Patina on copper can always change.  I have now cut that into strips and want to make a large cuff bracelet.

I've also milled and cut out some strips of copper for book marks.  They may be a bit too thick. but I didn't want them too thin and bendy...  Hey, who cares if you trash that old paperback, it's only gonna end up at Bookman's anyway.  I drilled a hole at the top and will slip some micro paracord through instead of ribbon.  The early patina on these pieces looked a bit dark.

We had a bit of a celebration last night and a few of us were lucky enough to be given these cute origami pieces!  There was a ring, a bear (look at the eyes) and the heart is mine.  So fun!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.