Thursday, October 10, 2013

Scraptastic!



This is more scrap copper I harvested at school.  The one larger piece will be made into a cuff bracelet.  I have some smaller pieces that will soon be cigar band rings and there is one other piece that will somehow make its way into a bracelet.  The milled leaves came out so nice on this one that I wanted to keep it close to this size.  I have some ideas about how this one will look with leather and some beads.  All of this metal needs to be shaped and formed.

The piece for the bracelet was really thick and small.  I milled and milled it in one direction to lengthen.  I had to anneal it once and then continued, milled more and annealed again.  For some reason today, the copper looked so great after taking it out of the acid bath.  It has the AB or aurora borealis look to it.  Very cool.  I almost want to keep it that way, but need to fully patina to get the fine lines of the leaves to show up.  Patinas are great right when they get on the metal.  If you start sanding or doing the slightest thing, they seem to change.  I do really like this look and may make some items in this process that show off more of the color than the fine detail.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.