Saturday, April 12, 2014

Alternative Bezels and Frames




I'm taking a class on making alternative bezels and I had the idea to make something from one piece that looked like a frame.  This could be a piece where there are tabs sawed out that could be wrapped around the back of another piece.  Really, there is no end to the ideas someone could come up with based on this thought.  I actually like the frame part sawed out and finished like this just laying over the top of the other piece.  These were samples, so the next time I may make the base piece larger and have the uneven edge frame go all the way out.  You could then solder or rivet them together.  This metal was scrap I had and I originally cut this metal to use for simple earrings.  The frame pieces were harvested from the circular at the studio and already texturized. Looks like the metal may have been hammered on an anvil.  You could beat the metal on the asphalt out in the parking lot as well if you wanted.  You can actually purchase fancy hammers that will give you the same texture.  Take it from me, put the metal face down on your interesting surface and hammer with your nice hammer from the back.

Just some photos here of the process from sketches up to the almost finished pieces.  Hey, don't laugh...  In ancient times, people actually drew their own designs out and they weren't perfect either.  I used a multi-step patina process to get the impressed detail really dark and then layered the peacock hues over that.  The pieces seemed to look so nice right at that particular minute.  Copper always seems to change a bit and over time, the bright colors may not be so bright.  Many times the multi-color copper will tarnish and the minute you hit it with some sand paper or a little steel wool, poof... there went the color.  There are some waxes that can be used, but I've found the patina in the texturized areas, after a while will feather or seem to blur out.  Hmmm, I'm on the fence on the whole waxing or sealing, so I just leave it natural.  If it discolors, I lightly sand with some 600 grit paper that has already been used and is worn.  A little less tooth on the paper will help you not remove too much detail or patina in the recessed areas.  I just try new things all the time while working with the metal.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.