Thursday, April 3, 2014

Cocobolo and Walnut Wood Veneer



Hmmmm, What might I possibly consider doing with wood veneer?  Well, I'm not saying yet...  I do love the look and grain of wood.  The exotic cocobolo wood has some really interesting visual texture and the walnut looks a bit more even in color.  I love the look of wood inlay and beautiful guitars made of exotic woods.  One of my favorite woods is koa and it's from Hawaii.  I call it sugar wood because it just shimmers and the gold tones are so beautiful.  The koa is so, so much more beautiful than even a curly maple.  There may be some birch veneer in the middle photo I looked at today and the last photo is of some finished koa.  You know with any of the things I make, you'll be wearin' it, not playing it.  I'll keep ya posted!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.