Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Let it Grow, Let it Grow... Southwestern Gardening






Well, things are most definitely not frozen out here!  The blooms appear and nature works precious magic very early in the season here in the desert.  It won't be long before the summer days will be very hot and much of this may be a bit of a memory.  I think some frozen peaches may work out well for future smoothies!

I'm not a fan of spraying anything except water over my fruit trees or plants.  I noticed some little green things flying around which may be aphids.  I went to my favorite nursery in Phoenix and purchased the little crusty thing that is now hanging in the plastic mesh in the tree.  I was told it may take about two weeks for the mantis party to break loose, but I haven't seen any yet...  Hmmm?

The grape vines are full of leaves and there are some tiny bunches already growing.  Somewhere between the "Peach Pit" and those would be some tomatillos, anaheims, some herbs and maybe one strawberry plant.  Seems the little shamrocks have jumped over into this area as well!

It gets so warm out here so fast, I usually buy early girl or patio tomatoes.  They grow, get ripe, then I pluck them right off before they turn into those dun dried tomatoes that can seem to happen in a blink.  They do really well in a large pot and are currently in full sun.  I may need to bring those into the shade soon.  You've guessed it, I have a bit of a salsa garden going.  Yes, that's so southwestern!

Tomatillos...  What are they?  Well, they look like hard green tomatoes and when you see them at the store, they still have a loose skin or shell that looks like a little paper bag around them.  Salsa verde and green chili sauce is made with these.  You boil and cook down tomatillos, yellow hots and jalapenos and have the beautiful beginnings of green chili sauce.  There are many more steps to that recipe, but I'll save that for another day.  So the tomatillos are essential for so many sauces and meals that are green.

It's great fun and pretty essential to learn how to grow your own food.  It's really easy to drive over to the store, but it's nice to know that the food I'm growing here is pretty well organic.  I feel good about really knowing what I'm eating and it's nice to know some fresh stuff is right outside my door.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I enjoy silversmithing, making jewelry, beads and working with paracord. I sculpt in polymer clay and desert themes are my favorite. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate the beauty of nature into my work. My work has been published in a large book called "1000 Beads," Lark Jewelry and Beading, 2014. I have sold beads through the Glendale Bead Museum Shop, a gallery in Tucson and www.wearartbyjulie.etsy.com. I'm an artist currently showing my jewelry at the Shemer Art Center in Phoenix, AZ.